Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
“There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are now afloat;
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose the ventures before us.”
– William Shakespeare, poet and playwright
William Shakespeare (26 April 1564 – 23 April 1616) was an English poet, playwright, and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world’s pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England’s national poet and the ‘Bard of Avon’. His extant works, including some collaborations, consist of about 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and a few other verses, the authorship of some of which is uncertain. His plays have been translated into every major living language and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.
- Alex ‘Hitch’ Hitchens helps hopeless or less confident men hook up with the women who they believe are out of their league.
- Hitch’s main task in the movie was to transform a man with little self-esteem onto being a confident, supportive and loving friend, boyfriend and eventually husband.
- Hitch plays it just right – his smile isn’t forced, his jokes come easy, and the awkward scenes work fine because of his charismatic nature.
- Hitch proves it with Albert that even a guy who may seem to have the least of chances to be able to pull a girl can actually do it if he has the self-belief.
- Hitch has very high emotional intelligence to be able to interpret how the other person is feeling and thus act accordingly. In particular, he manages to find out about the paparazzi, senses how Sara changes her behaviour over dinner at his place, and interprets body language with Allegra as she plays with her house keys.
- Hitch has a wonderful style, as demonstrated by the way he gets the girl at the club to move away from the other guys and speak to Hitch.
- Hitch clearly makes a presence that makes you follow him and be attentive with regards to what he says. This is because he’s such a sociable, dominant man.
- Hitch shows the importance of listening. He specifically instructs Albert to listen to what Allegra has to say. This shows that Albert respects Allegra, which is a desirable quality to be having.
- Hitch hides his personality as much as possible. He reveals very little, which keeps him as a mystery and makes other people curious. Though his mystery didn’t pay off in the right manner for him, it could in other instances.
- Hitch did a lot of in-depth research about Sara and Allegra. This is important to be able to connect with people easily and leave a great impression. In particular, he found out about Sara’s great grandfather and the drink she was drinking at the club.
- Hitch may make mistakes (like having his shirt stuck in the door and kicking Sara on the face), but he still leaves the other person hooked. He automatically makes the other person interested in him.
- Below are some particular quotes and phrases from the movie:
“Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away.”
“Basic principles: no woman wakes up saying, “God, I hope I don’t get swept off my feet today!” Now, she might say, “This is a really bad time for me,” or something like, “I just need some space,” or my personal favourite, “I’m really into my career right now.” You believe that? Neither does she. You know why? Because she’s lying to you, that’s why. You understand me? Lying! It’s not a bad time for her. She doesn’t need any space. And she may be into her career, but what she’s really saying is, “Uh, get away from me now,” or possibly, “Try harder, stupid.” But which one is it? Sixty percent of all human communication is nonverbal, body language; thirty percent is your tone. So that means that ninety percent of what you’re saying ain’t coming out of your mouth. Of course she’s going to lie to you! She’s a nice person. She doesn’t want to hurt your feelings. What else she going to say? She doesn’t even know you… yet. Luckily, the fact is that just like the rest of us, even a beautiful woman doesn’t know what she wants until she sees it, and that’s where I come in. My job is to open her eyes. Basic principles: no matter what, no matter when, no matter who… any man has a chance to sweep any woman off her feet. He just needs the right broom.”
“One dance, one look, one kiss, that’s all we get, Albert. Just… one shot, to make the difference between happily ever after, and oh? he’s just some guy I went to some thing with once.”
Entrepreneur – noun – Someone who exercises initiative by organising a venture to take benefit of an opportunity and, as the decision maker, decides what, how, and how much of a good or service will be produced.
Entrepreneurship has never been more important than it is today. Humankind is younger than it has ever been, with more than half of the world’s population under the age of 25. There is a youth bulge of 1.8 billion people, with 87% living in developing countries and around 66% of them under-utilised. There is a crisis that the world’s leaders in government, business and civil society all agree on – that crisis is youth unemployment. This crisis has serious social, economic and political implications that must be addressed immediately.
Now, more than ever, entrepreneurs are essential to create jobs, economic growth and wealth, as well as to address the growing set of global challenges our society is facing. Studies from organisations such as the OECD, the World Bank and the World Economic Forum have consistently illustrated that entrepreneurs and young businesses are the leading source of job creation and sustainable growth. Countries around the world have increasingly focused on entrepreneurship and innovation as the way forward for building new knowledge and creative approaches, increasing global competitiveness, addressing the growing challenge of increasing unemployment, and creating new jobs. However, far more focus and emphasis must now be placed on developing entrepreneurial thinking, and ecosystems that foster entrepreneurship.
Entrepreneurial thinking is a 4-stage process that is driven by seven overarching ‘mindsets’. The entrepreneurship process is:
- Identify a problem
- Create a sustainable commercial solution to the problem
- Identify who values the solution
- Take action
The Seven ‘Mindsets’ of Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Passionate, Inspired & Energetic
“Choose a job that you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” – Confucious
- Empowered, Confident & Willing to Take Opportunities
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity” – Seneca
- Ownership Mentality
“The best way to predict the future is to create it” – Peter Drucker
- Fast Decision Making & Risk Taking
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” – T.S. Elliot
“Leadership is taking responsibility whilst others are making excuses” – John C Maxwell
- Disciplined & Hard Working
“Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration” – Thomas Eddison
- Learning, Adaptive & Dynamic
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world” – Nelson Mandela
Here’s a short video to inspire the youth of today to think of an entrepreneurial idea and take action!